Talk:Delhi Development Authority
Delhi Development Authority
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) , was set up under the Delhi Development Act in 1957, to foster the development of New Delhi. DDA handles the housing, infrastructure, commercial properties, land development and sports complexes of the city. DDA acquires vast tracts of land for commercial, industrial, residential, and recreational purposes.
A survey conducted for the first time regarding the DDA-administered land in the city with the help of National Productivity Council and Geospatial Data Limited. The survey included plots under various land uses such as industrial, commercial, and recreational. The focus of the survey was to protect these plots from illegal encroachment. The findings of the survey revealed that around 5500 acres of land were lying vacant under the Delhi Development Authority  The survey also found that 298 acres of land under DDA was under litigation. The value of total vacant land under DDA is around 1 lakh crore.
Details of Vacant Land Under DDA
|Zone||Vacant land (acres)|
Underdeveloped/Encroached Water Body Land Under Various Agencies of Government
In New Delhi, the water bodies come under the jurisdiction of various government agencies such as Delhi Development Authority (DDA), Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and Delhi Jal Board (DJB) etc . According to a 2015-16 report of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, there are total 971 water bodies, out of which 215 fully and partially encroach, 346 have been dried-up, 321 are wet and remaining 89 are transformed into parks. The city relies heavily upon Yamuna river for its water requirements. According to the Central Pollution Control Board, 40 percent of total waste of New Delhi is dumped into the same river.
|Government Agency||Underdeveloped/Encroached Area( in acres)|
|Delhi Development Authority||63.26|
|Municipal Corporation of New Delhi||7.41|
|Archaeological Survey of India (ASI)||0.30|
Encroached/Vacant Gram Sabha Land in New Delhi
The Gram Sabha Land in New Delhi is lying unused and is heavily encroached by the land mafia. The Gram Sabha land comes under the Gram Sabha. Gram Sabha is a statutory body consisting of all persons whose names are incorporated for electoral rolls for Panchayat at the village level. Gram Sabha performs functions at the village level which are provided by the state legislators. The body is responsible to undertake functions such as sanctioning the projects for the social and economic development of the village before the panchayat of the village takes them into implementation.
As per the response of an RTI application filed by a Delhi-based activist Rajhans Bansal, around 1,000 acres of gram sabha land is encroached by the land mafia. The land grabbers are sitting on the gram sabha land worth Rs 5,000 crore.  The gram sabha land of villages including Dera Mandi, Aya Nagar village, Mithapur, Jaitpur and Neb Sarai located in south and south-east zone of New Delhi is heavily encroached by the land sharks. These encroachments on the gram sabha land is the result of a strong connection between the land grabbers and local leaders. Despite the strong instruction from the Supreme Court to all the state governments and union territories to evict the encroachers from the gram sabha land, still the encroachment on gram sabha land is rampant in New Delhi. The government carried out a demolition drive to evict all the illegal encroachers from the gram sabha land, but still the encroachers were re-occupied on the same land.
- Delhi Development Authority (DDA). Accessed April 17, 2018. http://dda.org.in/ddaweb/index.aspx.
- Delhi Development Authority (DDA) Vacant Land. Accessed April 17, 2018. http://dda.org.in/ddanew/vacantlistld.aspx.
- DDA Sitting on Delhi Land worth 1 Lakh Crore. Accessed April 17, 2018. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/DDA-sitting-on-Delhi-land-worth-Rs-1-lakh-crore/articleshow/45172286.cms.
- Status of Water Bodies in New Delhi. Accessed April 18, 2018. http://delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/0b0271004d2a6c50b599bf40c7ad5478/List of Water Bodies MCD.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&lmod=1577688435&CACHEID=0b0271004d2a6c50b599bf40c7ad547
- "Delhi Land Grabbers Sit on Village Land worth 5,000 Crores, as Mafia and Other Crooks Seized 1,000 Vital Acres." Delhi Land Grabbers Sit on Village Land worth 5,000 Crores, as Mafia and Other Crooks Seized 1,000 Vital Acres. Accessed April 19, 2018. ww.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-3013561/Delhi-land-grabbers-sit-village-land-worth-Rs-5-000-crore-mafia-crooks-seize-1-000-vital-acres.html.